- Understanding the Richmond Crime Fee
- What Is the Crime Fee in Richmond?
- Richmond, VA Crime Maps
- Property Crime in Richmond, VA
- Violent Crime in Richmond, VA
- Harmful Areas of Richmond
- Most secure Neighborhoods in Richmond, VA
- Richmond, VA Security Suggestions – Methods to Keep away from Crime in Richmond
- Richmond Police Division
- Richmond Crime Fee FAQ
- Is Richmond, VA secure?
- What’s the crime price in Richmond, Virginia?
- Is Richmond safer than Raleigh?
Are you fascinated with transferring to Richmond, VA? The town has a little bit of a fame for crime and gang violence, however it’s total a secure place to stay. Crime charges may be deceptive, so that you shouldn’t depend on crime per capita alone to resolve if a metropolis is secure. You’ll discover that crime in Richmond, Virginia is basically concentrated in a handful of areas and violent crime often isn’t random. Right here’s what you must know concerning the Richmond, VA crime price, together with how one can assess your precise threat of being the sufferer of crime.
Understanding the Richmond Crime Fee
Crime charges are a superb place to start out when assessing your threat of crime in Richmond. Metropolis crime charges present you the variety of particular crimes per capita (100,000 individuals) which may be in comparison with the nationwide common or one other metropolis.
Reading:: Is richmond va safe
How are metropolis crime charges calculated? They’re based mostly on FBI crime reporting techniques.
- The Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) program was retired in 2021, however most crime charges you see nonetheless use UCR information. This program collects information from regulation enforcement companies on eight Half I or index crimes: 4 violent and 4 property crimes.
- The Nationwide Incident-Based mostly Reporting System (NIBRS) collects information from regulation enforcement on 52 crimes in 24 classes. These are Group A offenses. Arrest information can be collected on ten Group B offense classes. These crimes are divided into three classes.
NIBRS crimes are divided into the next classes:
- Crimes In opposition to Individuals. This consists of aggravated assault, easy assault, kidnapping, human trafficking, intimidation, forcible sexual offenses, non-forcible sexual offenses, homicide/non-negligent manslaughter, and negligent manslaughter.
- Crimes In opposition to Property. This consists of arson, housebreaking, forgery, bribery, embezzlement, vandalism, extortion, fraud, larceny/theft, motorcar theft, theft, and stolen property offenses.
- Crimes In opposition to Society. These are often victimless crimes that don’t contain property resembling playing, drug offenses, and prostitution.
The offenses which can be bolded are the eight index crimes utilized by the UCR program to calculate crime charges. Nonetheless, theft is a violent crime below the UCR system whereas the NIBRS system classifies it as against the law towards property.
What Is the Crime Fee in Richmond?
The Richmond, VA crime price is 3,962 complete crimes per 100,000 individuals (per capita). Richmond has 463 violent crimes and three,499 property crimes per capita. You might have a 1 in 25 probability of being the sufferer of crime.
By comparability, the nationwide common crime price is 2,580 crimes per capita with 382 violent crimes and a pair of,362 property crimes per 100,000 individuals.
Crime in Richmond, Virginia is 114% larger than the Virginia common and 59% larger than the nationwide common.
Right here’s how crime in Richmond compares to equally sized cities.
- Fresno, CA has 2% much less crime
- Pittsburgh, PA has 9% much less crime
- Lexington, KY has 17% much less crime
- Charleston, SC has 34% much less crime
- Des Moines, IA has 21% extra crime
- Knoxville, TN has 27% extra crime
- Cincinnati, OH has 30% extra crime
- Orlando, FL has 41% extra crime
- Birmingham, AL has 108% extra crime
Richmond, VA Crime Maps
One other approach to perceive crime within the metropolis is by checking a Richmond crime map. crime information on a map can present you crime hotspots to keep away from, usually secure or harmful areas, and what varieties of crimes are likely to happen in numerous neighborhoods.
Listed below are some crime maps and sources that can assist you analysis high-crime and secure neighborhoods in Richmond, VA.
- Richmond, VA crime map utilizing police crime information with the power to kind crime by neighborhood and sort of offense and see intercourse offenders.
- This crime map from Spot Crime is easier however nonetheless permits you to see crime by neighborhood within the metropolis.
- The RPD Crime Incident Data system exhibits you weekly and historic crime experiences which may be sorted by neighborhood.
Property Crime in Richmond, VA
There are 3,499 property crimes per capita in Richmond. There have been 8,074 property crimes in 2019 which included:
- 6,234 larcenies and thefts
- 986 burglaries
- 854 motorcar thefts
- 44 arsons
You might have a 1 in 29 probability of being the sufferer of property crime.
Violent Crime in Richmond, VA
There are 473 violent crimes per capita in Richmond. There have been 1,068 violent crimes in 2019 which included:
- 583 aggravated assaults
- 385 robberies
- 45 rapes
- 55 murders or non-negligent manslaughters
You might have a 1 in 216 probability of being the sufferer of violent crime in Richmond. The Richmond, VA murder price is 24 murders per capita, far larger than the nationwide common of 5 homicides per capita.
In 2020, Richmond’s murder price spiked to the very best stage for the reason that Nineteen Nineties, like many U.S. cities throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. Virginia had 455 homicides in 2019 which elevated to 537 in 2020.
Nonetheless, Richmond’s violent crime price total dropped beneath the nationwide common in 2020.
Harmful Areas of Richmond
Whereas Richmond is usually a secure place to stay, there are a handful of harmful neighborhoods in Richmond the place violent crime is concentrated. You’ll discover most of those neighborhoods are very small which suggests the violent crime price can be a bit skewed.
- Gilpin Courtroom (pop. 2,500) has one among Richmond’s highest violent crime charges.
- Hillside Courtroom (pop. 750) has 448% extra crime than Richmond. The violent crime price is 2,535 crimes per capita.
- Creighton (pop. 1,000) has a violent crime price of 1,720 per capita and over 270% extra crime than Richmond.
- Jeff Davis (pop. 2,200) has 1,642 violent crimes per capita.
- Oakwood (pop. 300) has 1,508 violent crimes per capita.
- Fairfield (pop. 1,200) has 186% extra crime than Richmond.
- Woodville (pop. 800) has 1,250 violent crimes per capita.
- Oak Grove (pop. 1,500) has 160% extra crime than town common.
- Whitcomb (pop. 2,800) has 1,205 violent crimes per capita.
- Forest View (pop. 800) has 160% extra crime than town.
The excellent news is most violent crime is straightforward to keep away from. Gang violence is an issue in sure areas of Richmond, notably the six giant housing initiatives that are principally within the East Finish. Richmond has extra public housing initiatives than most cities and they’re identified for excessive poverty in addition to violent crime. The massive housing initiatives in Richmond with excessive crime charges embrace:
- Gilpin Courtroom with 780+ housing items
- Whitcomb Courtroom with 440+ items
- Creighton Courtroom with 500+ items
- Hillside Courtroom with 400+ items
- Fairfield Courtroom with 440+ items
- Mosby Courtroom with 450+ items
In line with the Richmond Redevelopment and Housing Authority, there are nearly 8,300 individuals within the six giant courts with a mean earnings of $8,800. There are a number of gangs working within the Richmond space together with the Hells Angels, Aryan Brotherhood, Bloods, Crips, and extra.
Most secure Neighborhoods in Richmond, VA
In search of the most secure locations to stay in Richmond? There are dozens of secure Richmond neighborhoods, giant and small. The town is split into 5 districts: Downtown, East Finish, West Finish, North Aspect, and Southside. Most violent crime occurs within the East Finish however there are some high-crime areas within the North Aspect and Southside.
Most neighborhoods have low crime, however listed here are a handful to think about.
- Bellevue/Ginter Park are historic Northside neighborhoods alongside Bryan Park, an enormous metropolis park with disc golf and open inexperienced house
- Byrd Park is an prosperous neighborhood subsequent to the park of the identical identify with three lakes
- Museum District or Higher Fan District is one among Richmond’s most fascinating neighborhoods with historic row homes and strolling distance to Carytown and Scott’s Addition
- Three Chopt is a small residential neighborhood on the south of the West Finish subsequent to the College of Richmond
- Huguenot is a bigger neighborhood alongside the James River fashionable with households
- The Fan is a residential district that’s walkable with native companies, boutiques, eating places, espresso outlets, and health studios
- Close to West Finish is the farthest space from town middle within the West Finish however it’s simply 10 minutes from downtown and residential to the Nation Membership of Virginia and historic single-family properties
- Southampton is a wooded neighborhood off the James River with winding roads, giant dwelling heaps, and the texture of the suburbs
- Woodland Heights/Westover Hills are family-friendly neighborhoods with river entry, parks, and a farmer’s market
- Westhampton within the Close to West Finish is near downtown and simply 5 minutes from Carytown
Richmond, VA Security Suggestions – Methods to Keep away from Crime in Richmond
- The housing initiatives of Richmond are hotspots for crime and gang exercise.
- Theft, housebreaking, and sexual offenses are the most typical varieties of crime on the College of Richmond campus in accordance with campus crime stats. College students can use the UR LiveSafe app to ship experiences to UR police about threats, crimes, and suspicious habits together with movies and screenshots. Suggestions are monitored 24/7. Customers also can obtain messages about security suggestions and ongoing incidents on campus.
- Take steps to scale back your threat of being focused for housebreaking. Retains lights on when you’re not dwelling and ensure all exterior doorways and home windows are securely locked. Think about investing in exterior cameras to discourage crime.
- Automobile theft and theft from vehicles are each considerably frequent in Richmond, as with all metro space. Don’t depart valuables in your automobile, particularly in sight. All the time lock your automotive and park someplace well-lit and as safe as attainable. If you’re involved about theft, deterrents like steering wheel locks can present further safety.
Richmond Police Division
- Chief of Police: Gerald M. Smith
- Officers: 750 sworn officers, 170 civilian workers
- Non-emergency quantity: (804) 646-5100
- Tackle: Richmond Police Division, 200 W Grace St, Richmond, VA 23220
The Richmond Police Division (RPD) gives regulation enforcement for greater than 230,000 individuals in Richmond, VA. The division patrols town in two areas, with 4 precincts and 12 sectors. There are a number of help divisions together with Forensics, a Particular Occasions Division that handles every part from crowd administration and visitors accident investigation to SWAT organizations, and a Particular Investigations Division with Pc-Aided Crimes, Vice, Narcotics, and Gang items.
The Group Policing Act has modified the way in which Richmond police gather information on visitors stops or different investigatory stops. Starting in 2021, departments should observe whether or not regulation enforcement used bodily pressure towards anybody and whether or not bodily pressure was used towards an officer.
Richmond Crime Fee FAQ
Is Richmond, VA secure?
Crime in Richmond is considerably larger than the nationwide common. Nonetheless, Richmond is a secure metropolis to stay with most crime concentrated in a handful of harmful areas which can be principally residential developments.
What’s the crime price in Richmond, Virginia?
The Richmond crime price is 3,962 complete crimes per capita with 463 violent crimes and three,499 property crimes per 100,000 individuals. The nationwide common is 2,580 complete crimes per capita with 382 violent crimes and a pair of,362 property crimes per 100,000 individuals.
Is Richmond safer than Raleigh?
The Richmond crime price is larger than the crime price in Raleigh. Richmond has nearly twice as a lot crime. There are 256 violent crimes per capita in Raleigh and 463 per capita in Richmond.
As you may see, Richmond might have a bit extra crime than the nationwide common, however it’s really secure for a metropolis of its measurement. The overwhelming majority of violent crime happens within the metropolis’s housing initiatives and it’s typically gang-related and simple to keep away from.
In case you have settled on relocating to Richmond, Virginia, On the Fly Shifting Guys is able to assist. After selecting the best neighborhood to name dwelling, give us a name to request a free quote and rely on a stress-free transferring day.